Alfajores is a traditional Spanish delicacy, but is also a favorite dessert in Argentina and other South American states.
Alfajores are two rounds of butter cakes together with a sweet filling ” dulce de leche” between them . It is a delicious bacon in a special class. Oreo go home and lie down!
Alfajores – recipe
The cakes are relatively easy to make. They are light but delicate flavor – they should rather not overdrive with dulce de leche. And neither do they. Make your dulce de leche in advance, after all it must have four hours and must be cooled before it can be used. Unless you cheat and buy it ready-made.
Ingredients – there will be somewhere between 12-20 pieces depending on the thickness
- 125g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 80ml sugar
- 2½dl corn starch
- 1¾-2dl wheat flour + slightly rolled out
1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ teaspoon. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. fine salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. cognac
- ½ teaspoon. vanilla extract
- 2½dl dulce de leche at room temperature
How to make alfajores
- Bring the butter and the sugar into a bowl and stir. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat the mixture until soft dough forms – stop occasionally and scrape the sides of the bowl.
- While the mixer is on – mix the corn, starch, wheat flour, baking soda, soda and fine salt all together on a separate bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, cognac and vanilla extracts to the butter and sugar combination and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture slightly on to it and stir until there are no more white pumps trace.
- Lay the dough flat on a piece of plastic wrap, pack it in and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Turn on the oven. Set the temperature at 175 ° C.
- Place the dough on a floured surface of the table, sprinkle flour on top of the dough and roll it out in about ½ cm thickness.
- Pour out the dough in 5 cm round cakes and place them on the baking sheets lined with baking paper with approximately a thumb width intervals.
- Roll out the dough again, punch out, etc. until all dough is used.
- Bake the cakes in the oven for 12-14 minutes until they are light golden – if your cakes are thinner than ½ cm, reduce the baking time.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely. Add approximately 2 tsp. of dulce de leche and sandwich it in between two cakes.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes