Brunch is never complete without pancakes – specifically American pancakes. Small, butted, tasty pancakes with maple syrup.
It is not because there is anything wrong with ordinary pancakes, but American pancakes lends itself so clearly better for brunch or breakfast.
American pancakes – recipe
They are also easier to make because they are thicker and small and thus not so difficult to flip.
For 20 pieces you will need:
- 275 g of wheat flour
- 1 knsp. Salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ L milk
- 10 drops vanilla extract fx Bodylab Zero Drops vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 50 g butter / margarine
How to Make American Pancakes:
- Mix flour, salt, sugar and baking soda together and whisk it with the milk.
- Add vanilla extract, if none a little plain vanilla powder can be an alternative.
- Beat finally the eggs in. You can also whip whites separately and add it onto the flour mixture. It provides a fluffier dough.
- Melt a knob of butter on a frying pan.
- Use approx. ½ dl dough for each pancake – it may be a few or three on a regular frying pan. If you want them all round and fine at the edge, a mirror egg pan will be perfectly perfect, but there can only be one pancake at a time.
- Fry the American pancakes 2 minutes on each side, and stack them on a small dish or a plate.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until all the dough are utilized.
AVOID SMOKE IN THE KITCHEN!
If you don’t want to re-do step4, you can melt all the butter at once before you start to fry the pancakes and pour it into a small jug. Pour some of the melted butter on the pan before pouring the dough on.
I also think this approach saves time because you do not have to wait and wait for the butter to melt for every serving of pancakes.
Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit or berries and possibly a sprinkle of sugar.
Tips and tricks in making American pancakes
Above is the basic form of American pancakes, and if you’re ready to experiment a little, then you can add 100 to 120 grams of cottage cheese to the mixture itself.
What you can add/eat together with American pancakes
Accessories/toppings for pancakes are almost free games by which all kinds of fruits can be served together with it. Some also like running skies or Greek yogurt while others are hardcore sweet on nutella. Below is a list of suggestions for accessories for American pancakes.
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- Marmalade (blackcurrant, strawberries, blackberry)
- Ice cream
- Ricotta cheese
- Cream cheese with tomato
Video recipe for American pancakes
You can watch AlmostNordic’s video recipe right here on the page. If you’re still in doubt, check out the video below.
Fluffy American pancakes a la Jamie Oliver style
Jamie Oliver is, of course, a bit of an icon in cooking, and he has also had his fingers down in this way to make airy right: American pancakes on is actually not so difficult. Jamie Oliver adds just the bulbs.
The recipe is actually very similar, but in point 2 of the above recipe, where you add vanilla extract, you also do the following:
Take a pear, pluck it from end to end, also with the core and all. Stir it now along the rest of the mixture. Then continue the recipe’s procedure as usual.
Then you have it, the fluffy American pancakes a la Jamie Oliver style!
Preparation time: 5 minute
Cooking time: 25 minutes
See also the recipe for plain pancakes – or Rasmus Klump pancakes, as many also call them. You can see them below in the picture: