A Crostini is an Italian words that means “small crusts”. And that’s exactly what it is. Small crusts or small slices of toasted bread or anything, almost. The same word is also used to describe croutons.
Crostini reminds me a little of bruschetta – which is also a roasted Italian bread – but is usually less. Both are often served as antipasto, which means ‘before the meal’, ie as an appetizer or part of the appetizer.
There are many different crostini. A classic in Tuscany is crostini neri, which is a bread lubricated with a black – neri meaning black – cream made of, among other things, liver, anchovies and hijackers. It’s not the one you get the recipe for here. Below you get the recipe for one of my favorites, which we often eat for carrot soup. What is it called? I do not know, we can call it the “peperoncino e cheddar” (chili and cheddar).
Ingredients for 4 people as accessories for the soup
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon. Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ dl flavor neutral oil
- 1 red chili pepper
- 6-7 black olives according to taste
- 4 good mini flutes or other delicious bread – like rustic
- 8 tablespoons torn cheddar
- Salt and pepper
How to make crostini
- Turn on the oven at 225 ° C.
- Bring the egg yolk in a bowl of mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper and stir it together.
- Pour a few drops of oil while you whip. Pour a few drops of oil more in as you whip. Continue pouring oil for a little while as you whip. Gradually you can increase the amount, but be careful not to add too much at a time, then it will separate. Keep in mind that the consistency is like mayonnaise, because that’s precisely what you just made.
- Season with mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Rinse the chili pepper, flak it, remove the stick and kernels, and chop the chilli in fine strips, which arrive in mayonnaise.
- Also cut the olives into thin slices and put them in the mayonnaise.
- Beat the cheddar cheese if it is not already and mix it all together.
- Dash the flies, or cut them in slices longitudinally, transversely or obliquely, just as you think it, and benefit the mayonnaise mixture on them.
- Put the bread on a grate and put them in the oven until the mass is melted well and everything is warmed up. It takes a 5-7 minutes.
Crostini with ricotta
Another of my favorites, which I like to eat as a snack – a small, delicious snack – is crostini with ricotta and parsley pesto. It’s very simple. I shake a slice of rustic bread – flute, ciabatta, baguette or similar. Will get a good rocket ricotta and drip pesto over. And then it’s ready to be eaten.
Do you want to serve more dishes for the starter or the buffet is my suggestion:
- Crostini peperoncino e cheddar
- Crostini with ricotta
- Baby BLT
- Beyti kebab
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Chickens in asparagus in crustaceans
So, at least, you’ll be well around the world. It’s just a suggestion, you can find many other small, delicious dishes here on the side.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes