Duck breast – there are probably many who believe that roast duck is something you should eat during Morten and/or Christmas Eve. But we need not, of course, roast the whole time, because sometimes we have the urge to eat much more than a roast duck.
With regards to the dish of the evening, the real one is not a roast duck but goose. It is because, according to the legend, the very holy and humble Saint Martin – in Denmark called Morten – try to avoid being ordained as bishop and hide himself in a goose pen but was betrayed by the cackling of the geese and that he was found and forced to be bishop. Therefore, with his new power, he had commanded that every year on November 11 he should kill and eat goose.
The goose is, however, a great meal – and also reasonably expensive – that is why we have replaced it with the smaller and cheaper roast duck here in Denmark.
Fried duck breast – recipe
The recipe I have here is roasted duck breast. If you have instead a goose breast, the procedure still applies.
- Duck breast – depending on the size, there is food for 1-2 persons in ½ a duck breast. A duck breast weighs approx. 180-300 g
How to fry your duck breast on the pan
- Rip the skins of the duck breast in a rudder pattern with a very sharp knife without cutting the meat into pieces.
- Place it with the skins side down on a cold, dry pan, turn up to high heat and held for approx. 3 minutes until the grease is melting.
- Continue on even heat for approx. 10 minutes until the skin is golden.
- Turn the duck breast over on the other side for and fry for about 6-7 minutes longer if you want the duck breast to complete cooked.
- Remove the meat from the pan, sprinkle with salt and allow the meat to rest for 7-10 minutes before cutting it into slices before serving.
How to make duck breast in the oven
- Turn on the oven at 170 ° C.
- Cut with a sharp knife, in rudder pattern, the skin without cutting into the meat.
- Place the duck breast with the skin side down on a dry, cold pan.
- Fully screw up the heat and rise until the grease begins to melt – approx. 3 minutes.
- Brown the other side of the chest for approx. 1 minute.
- Set the duck breast in the oven for 10-12 minutes
- Remove the chest from the oven, sprinkle with salt and let it rest for 7-10 minutes before cutting.
Accessories for fried duck breast
Roasted duck breast tastes great with, for example, red wine sauce, whole, fried mushrooms and spring onion and boiled potatoes. You can also serve fried duck breast with browned potatoes, green cabbage salad and brown sauce tasted with the duckweed.
The possibilities are many and your proposal is as good as mine.
I highly recommend serving red wine for fried duck breast. Eg. Bosco Agostino. It is brewed on the barber grape and it has a powerful but refreshing taste.
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes