On every July 13 of every year, a National French Fries day is celebrated across every French Fries loving country. Do you know that on average, 13 lbs. of French fries were consumed by every single American in a year? That’s quite a number! Well, you can’t blame someone’s addiction to fries because I my self loves to eat fries. Who does not?
French fries can be made in different sizes, but not different shapes. You can buy them on frost in the supermarket, or you can but raw potatoes and cut them yourself too. In fact, you can even get a French fries cutter, but I still prefer knifes-among others.
French fries in the oven
Homemade French fries can be a little time consuming to make if you are using a deep fryer or frying pan because you have to be over them all the time and they need to be cooked thoroughly.
Servings: 4 person max
- 1 kg baked potatoes
- ¾ dl vinegar – regular stored vinegar
- Rapeseed oil – ¼ to ½ dl
- Lemon peel
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
How to cook French fries in the oven
- Peel the potatoes – you can also make them coarser by leaving the skin/peel on and then wash them.
- Cut the potatoes in a bar like shape or shoestring cut – You can decide about the thickness, even I like them in approx. 1½ x 1½ cm.
- Rinse them in several layers of cold water – to rinse as much starch as possible.
- Bring the French fries into a pot of water and vinegar and cook for 5-8 minutes till it has come to boil – giving them the delicious, sour flavor that fries will have.
- Let them drip and cool off – until they are completely cold, but it is not absolutely necessary.
- Turn on the oven at 220 ° C.
- Bring the stuffed, chilled French fries into a pan tray.
- Pour the oil over them and sprinkle with lemon peel and fennel seeds – other spices or flavors according to taste – and mix.
- Put the French fries in the oven and stir them until golden. 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt.
If you want your fries to be crispier, you can follow the instruction below:
- 1 kg baked potatoes
- 2 liters of fryer or rapeseed oil
How to cook French fries in deep fryers
- Follow points 1 through 5 in the description of French fries in the oven.
- Heat the oil up to 160 °C in the deep fryer.
- Cook them several times in the oil – as mentioned, do not lay them in layers.
- Take them up after 8-10 minutes and allow them to drizzle and allow to cool down. You can also put them in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil up to 190 ° C, and cook the fried fries for 3-4 minutes.
- Let them drip again and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Can be served with fish fillets, chicken or maybe burger.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes