Qurabiya – It is always fun to try new recipes especially those that comes from foreign countries with a completely different food culture than Danish.
This also applies when it comes to pastries and qurabiya is a good example of that. But what is a qurabiya?
What is qurabiya?
A qurabiya is a Turkish tea cake. We do not really have anything in Denmark that corresponds to it. It is most of all a very successful combination of a muffin, a scone and a biscuit. When freshly baked, it is crisp outside and soft inside.
In Turkey there is not only one recipe for Qurabiya, but many. The one I do here is with orange, but there are also some with chocolate or other delights in it.
Ingredients for 16-18 pieces.
- 115 g butter
- 115 g sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 orange – organic
- 2¾ dl crème fraiche or any equivalent sour dairy cream
- 25 g flavor neutral oil – rapeseed, sunflower or the like
- 310 g wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- A little bit of sugar
How to do Qurabiya
- First of all, make sure that all ingredients are in room temperature.
- Whip butter, sugar and vanilla powder together. It must be light and airy. Use a stirrer or an electric pointer.
- Whip the eggs together and add ¾ of the flour.
- Add orange juice and grated orange peel, crème fraiche and oil.
- Beat it well together.
- Mix the remaining flour and baking soda, place it in the dough and turn it all until the flour mixture is mixed thoroughly into the dough.
- Leave the dough covered in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours.
- Make a ball form out of the dough of approximately the same size – slightly larger than a walnut – use if necessary a spoon.
- Put the balls on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. There must be some distance between them as they raise during baking.
- Place the baking sheet / plates in the refrigerator and allow them to rest for a minimum of ½ hour. It’s important that you keep the cooling time, as it helps to give the “cracks” on the surface of the cake.
- Heat the oven up to 175 ° C.
- Brush each qurabiya with the rest of the egg and sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Put them in the oven and cooked them for approx. 13-14 minutes, they must not bake too long as they become dry. Cook only until you notice a golden color and the sugar is totally melted.
Tip: You can put the pre-rolled Qurabiya spheres in the fridge the night before and bake them the following day.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours and 45 minutes