Filipino Cheese Cupcake Recipe – Cupcakes are something that comes in a variety of flavors. From classic flavors like chocolate to unique blends like pumpkin spice, there’s no shortage of cupcake flavors to try. Among these different cupcake flavors have you ever tried a savory cupcake? Sweet and savory blends are not new but do you know that there are fully savory cupcakes you can enjoy? One example you can try is cheese cupcakes. Specifically, Filipino cheese cupcakes. These cupcakes bring a delightful blend of a buttery center and a crisp cheesy top. They also make for a great breakfast treat or afternoon snack. If you want to try your hand at baking this treat, this is one Filipino Cheese Cupcake Recipe you should try:
Filipino Cheese Cupcake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (cubed)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 can condensed milk (5 ounces)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated and divided)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Pour the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and mix until the dry ingredients are well-combined then set the bowl aside.
- If you have an electric mixer, fit the paddle attachment and put in the butter and sugar. Cream them at a medium speed until the batter is pale yellow in color. You can also cream by hand but using the electric mixer can make the process take 3-5 minutes.
- Once the butter and sugar are creamed, mix in the eggs and vanilla extract then add the codensed milk. Make sure to mix the ingredients well until they are fully incorporated.
- Lower the speed of your electric mixer and gradually add the dry ingredients.
- Add 3/4 cup grated cheese into the mixture and mix everything until it is well combined.
- Scoop the batter onto the prepared muffin tin until cups are 3/4 full.
- Top the cupcake batter with 1 to 2 teaspoons of grated cheese then bake for 25-30 minutes. You can also test the cupcakes by inserting a toothpick in the center and see if it comes out clean.
- When the cupcakes are ready, remove them from the pan and let them cool on a wire rack. Once the cupcakes are cooled, serve them fresh.
Other Tips for Filipino Cheese Cupcakes
Cheese is a popular flavor you’ll find among Filipino desserts and baked goods. It also pairs well with ube, a.k.a. purple yam, another popular dessert flavor. When it comes to cheese cupcakes, it is a fairly simple snack to make and brings an alternative option for the usual sweet treat. If you want to play up the cheese flavor, cheddar is a good option but you can try Monterey Jack. A simple cheese works best for this recipe to avoid any clash in flavors and textures. It also helps to use quality butter for the baking process.