Filipino Hot Dog Recipe – Filipino hotdog is actually different from regular hot dogs. The biggest unique point is their bright red color. They are also generally made with pork and have a saltier undertone. There are plenty of Filipino dishes involving the bright hotdog. One unique party snack is a hotdog on a stick with a marshmallow. As for meals, Filipino spaghetti is one prominent dish featuring the hot dog. You’ll find no shortage of ways to enjoy the red hotdog. If you’re looking for a dish that primarily focuses on the hotdog, you can try this stir fry recipe.
Filipino Hot Dog Stir Fry
- 6 pcs red hotdogs (sliced)
- 1 pc medium-sized onion (cut into rings)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ cup banana ketchup
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 pinch salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Put a cooking pan on medium to high heat and heat the oil.
- Once the oil is heated, add the hotdogs and cook them for 3-4 minutes or until they're browned. After the hotdogs are cooked, take them out of the pan and set them aside.
- Using the same cooking pan, add the onions and garlic then saute them until the vegetables are limp and aromatic.
- Pour in the banana ketchup, vinegar, oyster sauce, and sugar then add the water and season with salt and pepper. Make sure to stir everything together and bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the sauce reaches a boil, add the hotdogs into the mix and cook everything until the sauce is reduced and thickened. To avoid the sauce sticking to the pan, make sure to stir the mixture occasionally.
- After bringing the mixture to a boil, transfer the stir fry to a plate and enjoy.
Other Options for a Filipino Hot Dog Recipe
There are several recipes you can try involving Filipino hotdogs. As stated, one of the popular dishes involving this ingredient is Filipino spaghetti. You can also enjoy the hotdog by itself by grilling it. Another popular that people enjoy this ingredient is by pairing it with egg and garlic rice for breakfast. For westerners, you may be surprised to find that having this hotdog on a bun is not one of the ways it is usually enjoyed. Due to the salty undertone of the ingredient, it is best paired with rice. Aside from this, you’ll find several brands for this red hotdog.
Among the different brands, you can also enjoy some with cheese stuffed inside. For Filipinos, the red hotdog is a popular snack and breakfast item. You’ll find plenty of ways to enjoy this dish and different brands to try.