Together with Hassel back potatoes, chicken barbecue, fried Camembert, Rubinstein Cake and fast food goodies, spring rolls also appear on the Danish home menu – because as what they describe on the advertisement, are well in the stomach.
Like so much else these years, we buy them frozen. Throw them on the forehead or in the oven until they are hot and then served. Easy and quick. You can still get them frozen, but it’s more fun to make them yourself.
Spring rolls are an East Asian dish consisting of meat or fish and vegetables – or some versions are purely vegetables alone – wrapped in a thin sheet of dough. The reason for the name is because Chinese enjoy serving this dish during their spring
Spring Rolls – Homemade recipe
You can either make the dough yourself or you can buy a finished dough or spring roll sheets in the supermarket. Of course, buying the dough is quicker than making it yourself.
Spring rolls are a great remnant, as you can use leftovers of prepared meats, poultry and fish, and you can use leftovers of vegetables in it too.
Ingredients for 12 spring rolls
- 400 g fried / boiled poultry, fish or meat
- 2 leeks
- 2 onions
- 4 carrots
- 1 red pepper
- ½ kg of cabbage
- Slightly cracked ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 sheets of spring roll sheet – total 180 g
- Melted butter
- Salt and pepper
How to make spring rolls
- Cut poultry / fish / meat into strips.
- Peel, wash, chop and cut the vegetables – except garlic cloves that will remain whole, but pilled.
- Season the vegetables separately in a little oil.
- Taste with soy, curry, salt and pepper – beware of the salt, as the soy is also salty.
- Add garlic – press it if necessary a little bit of hand, so some juice can come out – and ginger when the cabbage is roasted.
- Turn on the oven at 200 ° C.
- Take the spring roll sheet out of the package – this should be done just before you use them as they are easily dry and hence difficult to work with.
- Divide each piece of the sheet into four pieces.
- Brush with a little melted butter.
- Add a little of each vegetable and meat – you can mix it all together if you prefer it – at one end, in the middle (about 1½ tablespoon total).
- First put one side then the other side over the fill.
- Now roll the filling round down toward the other end until there is no more dough.
- Lay the spring roll on a baking sheet covered with baking paper with the closure downwards.
- Continue with the next 11 spring rolls.
- Brush the spring rolls with the last melted butter.
- Put the spring rolls in the oven for approx. 15 minutes until golden.
If there is “filling” left over, you can easily eat it with spring rolls, and you can also serve it with boiled rice and / or a salad.
The spring rolls are cut to length, and dipped in a curry and soy sauce to further sharpen the taste. . If you’re more into the fresh produce, try out with Vietnamese spring rolls
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes