Ube Mochi Pancakes Recipe – ube is a popular flavor you can find in the majority of Filipino desserts. It also goes well with a variety of other sweets. With pancakes, there is no shortage of flavors you can experiment with or toppings you can have. You can also play around with the consistency of pancakes by creating mochi pancakes. Mochi pancakes bring a soft chewiness to the classic pancake and make for a fun change of pace for breakfast. With ube mochi pancakes, you get both a new texture and flavor to try with pancakes. Here is one way to make the purple yam flavored treat:
Ube Mochi Pancakes
- 3-4 medium purple sweet potatoes
- 1 ¼ cup milk divided
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup sweet rice flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast the purple sweet potatoes for 40-45 minutes or until it is soft enough for a fork to pierce through
- Peel the potatoes then mash them in a bowl then measure them into a cup along with one cup of milk. Pour both into a blender and blend them until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture from the blender into a bowl and add the remaining ¼ cup milk, egg, and 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- In another bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sugar with ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoon cornstarch, ½ cup sweet rice flour, and ½ cup all-purpose flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking just until combined.
- Once the dry ingredients are mixed, add them to the wet ingredients and whisk them together until they're well combined or no remnants of dry ingredients are seen.
- Heat a griddle over medium-low heat. Scoop about ⅓ cup batter per pancake and cook until both sides are browned.
- Repeat the process with the rest of your mixture and serve the pancakes fresh.
Where Did Ube Mochi Pancakes Come From?
To put it simply, Trader Joe’s is the one responsible for the creation of Ube Mochi Pancakes. During the summer of 2020, Trader Joe’s released an Ube Mochi Pancake Mix. Due to the height of the pandemic and the rise in popularity of creating or recreating recipes at home, the popularity of the dish took off. There are different ways you can try and make this dish and different toppings you can add for added flavors. A few options you can top this dish with include whipped cream, ice cream, or ube syrup. You can also try on the alternative of ube mochi waffles if you’d like.