Banana cake – pure retro mums! A real 80’s cake – together with the carrot cake – it never goes out of fashion. The one who has “invented” the banana cake must be a star. Bananas in cake are brilliant. They contribute sweetness, they give obesity (healthy obesity) and they keep the cake fresh for days – yes, whole weeks – and I just love its texture, soft and consistent.
My mouth run into water just by the thought. So fortunately I have just baked banana so I can grab a piece while I give you the recipe here
- 1 vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2½ dl cane sugar
- 3 yellow ripe bananas
- 1 dl Greek yoghurt
- 3½ dl wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking soda
- A little blackberry – or melted chocolate
How to make Banana cake
Follow these 8 simple steps and you’ll have a nice banana cake.
- Turn on the oven at 180 ° C.
- Whip egg, sugar and vanilla white and foaming.
- Mash the bananas with the back of a fork.
- Stir banana mash and Greek yogurt in a bowl.
- On a separate bowl, mix flour and baking soda together and turn it into the dough. You can use a stirrer to make all the stirring work.
- Put together the mixtures on the two bowls and whisk together.
- Pour the dough into a bake tin with a greased baking paper and place the mixture on number 6 in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until it does not hang on a meat pin or the like when stuck into the middle part of the cake
- Let the cake cool and sprinkle with a thin layer of flour.
You can of course and melt melted chocolate beyond it. The chocolate and banana taste beautifully together. But now it’s ready for serving, so I just snap a slice more.
If you burn yourself accidentally on the oven when baking this cake – or at other times – banana peels actually are painkiller on burns – and also on skin scrapes – according to an old house advice.
Banana cake with chocolate
If you want to make a banana stack of chocolate pieces, then there are actually some pretty things to do. You need 100 grams of dark chocolate. It must be chopped, and then add the chopped chocolate to banana mash and mix the mixture in point 4 – if you do that in point 6, it is also fine. The rest of the recipe is the same. Voila, you have banana chocolates with chocolate pieces.
Gluten Free Banana cake
In those times where gluten allergy and more diverge gluten has no specific medication yet, it is appropriate to have a gluten-free alternative. In order to make the above recipe gluten free, there are actually some relatively small changes that are required.
Instead of 3.5 dl flour, use 1 dl almond flour and 2.5 dl coconut flour, and voila you have a gluten-free banana cake.
How long can a banana cake lasts?
A banana can last 3-4 days in the fridge. You can also freeze a banana cake but, like everything else that gets frozen, it get such a little “freezing power”, so it’s not the best thing to do, but it may work.
Video Recording on Banana Cake:
Below you can see a video about how to make a banana cake if you should still be in doubt. The video is made by American baker Yolanda 🙂
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes