Looking for a dish that is good and healthy? Then, carrot soup is the dish you surely will love. This soup contains vitamins and minerals that is good for children and adults.
The recipe you will get in here does not have a lot of different vegetables in it, but in return it contain a number of carrots – which belongs to the top 10 healthiest vegetables – and oranges that is rich with C vitamins. So in winter this soup is a very good dietary supplement.
Carrot soup with orange, chili and cinnamon
Carrot soup is not only a delight for the taste buds, but also for the eye with its beautiful sunny color, which is entirely due to carrots and orange. There is no turmeric, saffron, curry or other spicy spices added in this dish.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 600 g carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick (of the short)
- 8 dl water
- 1 vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon. chili flakes
- 2 dl freshly squeezed orange juice (about 3 oranges depending on size and juiciness)
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley or watercress
- 4 tablespoons. shells or other viscous milk
- Peel the carrots and cut them into coarse, roughly equal pieces.
- Peel and diced the onions.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and season the onion and carrots with the cinnamon stick for a couple of minutes.
- Add chili flakes, water, broth and some salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on the pan and let the carrot juice simmer on low heat until the carrots is absolutely tender – it takes approx. 20 minutes depending on size.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the soup and blend the soup.
- Add orange juice. Add more orange juice, chili, salt and pepper according to taste.
This soup is served with a spoonful of shells per portion, slightly green on top and a piece of coarse bread.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Carrot soup with ginger and garlic
A variant that I personally like is carrot soup with ginger and garlic. In this variant, I usually do not like chili – there is plenty of ginger and garlic, but some may like to be extra strong.
In this variant you take two cloves of garlic and about 25 grams of ginger. Both garlic and ginger are chopped well and swirled with onions and carrots. Do this in step number 3 of the recipe above. Then continue the recipe as above – however, consider whether the chili should be omitted. Voila then it became your carrot soup with ginger and garlic!