Red Ribbon Style Ube Cake Recipe – the first thing to know about Red Ribbon is that it is a cakeshop in the Philippines. You can find this cakeshop spread throughout the country with a list of cakes you need to try. Among the different cakes that they dish out, one unique item is the ube cake. The Red Ribbon ube cake basically involves layers ube flavored chiffon cake with a meringue filling and frosting on top and crumbling on the sides.
It is a fluffy and creamy treat you can enjoy either by itself or with a cup of coffee. A comparable dish for this treat is the ube roll. An ube roll is just the roll cake form of ube cake and has more variations. When it comes to creating the cakeshop’s ube cake at home, there are different ways to do so. This recipe is one way you can go about creating the sweet dish:
Red Ribbon Style Ube Cake
Cake Batter Ingredients
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/3 cup milk you can choose any type of milk
- 2 tablespoon ube flavoring
- 1/4 cup ube halaya
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose cream
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Process for Meringue
- Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until the mixture reaches a thick consistency that leaves stiff peaks on your whisk. During the mixing process, gradually add the sugar until the desired consistency is reached.
Process for Cake Batter
- Preheat your oven to 340°F or 170 °C
- Sift the all-purpose flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl then add the salt and white sugar. Mix until the ingredients are well incorporated then set aside for later.
- In a different bowl, pour the egg yolks, milk, ube flavoring, and ube halaya and mix them well. Once the wet ingredients are incorporated, gradually add the dry ingredients and carefully stir the mixture until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Once the batter reaches a smooth consistency, carefully add the meringue and fold it into the batter.
- In 2 6×6 pans with parchment paper, place half of the ube cake mixture for each pan. Make sure to gently tap the pans to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake it for 28-35 mins.
- You can check if the cake is ready by poking a toothpick and seeing if it comes out clean. Once the cake is ready, remove it from the pans by carefully flipping it over a cooling rack then remove the parchment paper.
Process for Frosting and Assembly
- Add the cream cheese, white sugar, and vanilla then beat them together until it reaches a smooth consistency. During the mixing process, gradually add the all-purpose cream.
- After creating the frosting, cut the cakes in half then take one of the four layers and grind it up using a grinder or blender. You can also try using a fork so long as you reach a result where the crumbled cake can be used to decorate the sides of the cake.
- Layer the remaining pieces of cake with frosting in-between each layer then cover the sides with frosting and apply the crumbled cake. Make sure to leave enough frosting to transfer into a pipping bag.
- Simply pipe a circle of swirls on the edge of the surface and your cake is ready.
Tips and Options for Your Red Ribbon Style Ube Cake
While the general creation of the ube cake recipe is not overly difficult, there are still some tips and alternative options you can go for. Especially if you are lacking certain ingredients. For example, if you want fluffier results for your chiffon cake, try using cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. You can also try using coconut/canola oil instead of vegetable oil to increase the chances of trapping air in the batter. If you want to add a bit more moisture to the cake, use coconut milk instead. You can also check out other interesting Red Ribbon cakes such as their Ube Macapuno Cake.