Agurkesalat is the special Danish version of Cucumber Salad with thinly sliced cucumbers. It is used on most traditional rugbrødsmadder which are open-faced sandwiches served on Rye Bread served with different delicacies like shrimps, cold potatoes with mayo, hearings, and so on. Another place where agurkesalat is almost mandatory is on Danish Hot Dogs. Danish Hot Dogs are served with ketchup, mustard, remoulade (a kind of mayo that is based on cucumbers as well), agurkesalat, and roasted onions.
Agurkesalat – Traditional Danish Cucumber Salad
- 1 tspn whole dried coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 whole cloves
- 3-4 whole peppercorns
- 2 dl vinegar
- 2 dl water
- 2 dl sugar
- 1 english cucumber
- Salt and Pepper
- fresh dill
- Put coriander seeds, bay leaf, cloves and the whole peppercorns in a paper tea bag – a tea egg can also be used.
- Put vinegar, water and spice bag (or the paper tea bag) in a saucepan and bring it to boil.
- Let the layer cool a bit – it should still be warm – Add the spice bag and season with sugar, salt and pepper. Make sure the spice and sugar is dissolved.
- Cut the cucumber into very thin slices, pour the layer over and let it soak for at least a few hours. We always let it soak for at least an hour.
- Serve with fresh dill on the top
The Danish cucumber salad can be served right away or kept in a glass jar in the fridge for several days.
Right now with the recipes, we have from the Danish kitchen we recommend it when serving frikadeller – Danish meatballs – on rye bread.
Cucumber salads come in many variants and there are lots of national variants and besides the Danish variation, I can recommend trying the Thai and the Polish versions as well.
For more great recipes from Denmark have a look here. This recipe was originally posted on our Danish Recipe website HurtigMums.dk, where people use this recipe so often. So it is as Danish as it can be 🙂
Also, read our conversion guide to go from tablespoons to cups here.
Comments and questions about agurkesalat and other Danish dishes
Do you have questions or comments about the cucumber salad please let me know below. Or if you have any wishes about what kind of Danish dishes you want me to make next here on AlmostNordic. I will try the best I can to fulfill your wishes!