Chicken Sisig Recipe – This dish is a variation of the classic Filipino dish known as sisig. Sisig is basically, a sizzling plate dish that consists of fatty pork pieces with chilis and egg. Depending on how you like spicy food, sisig can have a lot of spice and be served without egg. When it comes to chicken sisig, it is considered as a healthy alternative to regular sisig. In this dish variation, you can either use chicken liver or chicken breast. There are different ways that this dish can be made and different ways you can enjoy it. This is one chicken sisig recipe you can try as a beginner of the dish.
- 1 /2 cup canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 pound chicken livers
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup calamansi or lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Thai chili or Seranno peppers chopped
- Prepare a preheated sizzle metal plate and set it aside for later
- Heat up one tablespoon of oil in a wide pan over medium-high heat then add garlic and cook it until softened.
- Add chopped chicken and spread across the surface of the pan. Make sure to turn the meat for an even cook and let it fry for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly brown and begins to crisp.
- Pour in the soy sauce and let it cook into the meat for about 30 to 40 seconds or until the sauce is mostly absorbed.
- Add the remaining oil to another pan over medium heat and gently add the chicken livers once the oil is heated. Turn the meat for an even cook and let it fry until crispy and fully cooked.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the meats from their respective pan and let them drain on paper towels. Chop up the meats once they are cool to the touch.
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, liver, onions, chili peppers, and calamansi juice.
- Add mayonnaise into the bowl mixture and stir until well-combined. Season with salt and pepper until it suits your taste.
- Carefully place the preheated sizzle metal plate on the wood bottom.
- Transfer chicken mixture onto sizzle plate and garnish with additional chopped or sliced chili peppers if desired. You have the option to add an egg on top to mix into the heated dish for extra richness
Understanding Chicken Sisig and How it Can Be Enjoyed
Sisig traditionally uses fatty pieces of pork in its mixture and is served on a sizzling hot plate. No matter the variation of protein used, the dish is seasoned with calamansi, soy sauce, onion, green chilies, and mayonnaise. It is also usually served with an egg on top. Sisig originated from a Pampanga region in Luzon in the Philippines before it became popular throughout the country.
When it comes to the protein of this dish, there are different options you can go for. For example, you can add chicken skins, heart, or gizzard. If you do not want to work with chicken breast, you can also use chicken thigh or leg. Even using leftover roasted chicken is an option. Whatever you decide to do, there are plenty of tips and varieties you can try with chicken sisig.