This Date roll recipe will steal your heart and is perfect for any festive celebration, like Christmas, Easter, or Eid. It is the best date roll ever because it had no gluten, no eggs, and no sugar. And you can make it in just under 30 minutes. A date roll or dates roll is a log of dates and nuts rolled tightly with the help of baking paper or cling wrap.
The log is then chopped into slices like salami, and it is then served. You can also roll it into a bar and cut it like a date. Snack foods are a great post-workout fuel. This homemade date roll packs a nutritious punch with the sweetness of dates and the crunch of nuts to give your workout an energy boost. They are a natural energy bar that will give you the quick boost of energy you need to power through your day.
There are lots of things you can do to make your own fresh fruit smoothies and I love this recipe from my aunt. She and her family use dates in their home-baked treats and now they have found a great way to include them in their healthy eating. These are usually served at festive gatherings as a drink to toast guests. They are called date logs, date candy, almond date rolls or dates salamis, and date burfi.
WHY DOES THIS RECIPE WORK?
The recipe that I created for the date roll includes mostly nuts and dates. Nut-based sauces, biscuits, or chocolate-hued desserts undermine the amazing flavors of dates. This recipe is a pure indulgence of dates and nuts. The crunch from the nut just complements the flavor of the dates.
This recipe is the perfect dessert to make you feel like a kid again, especially when you’re craving a sugar rush. This date roll recipe is easy to store, will keep at least a week in the fridge, and for those who like to have their favorite snacks available,
INGREDIENTS OF DATE ROLL RECIPE
Dates are the main ingredient of this recipe, so try to use good-quality Medjool dates. When the dates are soaked, the taste depends on the type of dates. We want really chewy, soft dates for this recipe. Your dates will get mushy if the dates are really hard or they’re not soft enough. It’s best to soak dates in cold water, not hot water, to avoid causing them to sprout. It’s better to select the best dates for this date roll recipe.
In this recipe, we have 2 of my preferred ingredients – almonds and coconut. Nuts add a variety of nutrients to our diet. You can substitute any nut you want with others and add more nuts like pine nuts and pecans.
Green cardamom (elachi) adds a fantastic aroma to these date rolls. Other flavors that enhance the aroma of date rolls are vanilla, saffron, cinnamon, and orange zest. These are some alternatives to adding cardamom powder to your rolls.
My recipe uses sesame seeds which are easy to find and really add a nice flavor to the dish. But you can use this recipe to add any neutral flavor foods like melon seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, or poppy seeds to your diet.
HOW TO MAKE A DATE ROLL?
- This is a simple recipe. It has few ingredients; just roasted almonds and melted dates.
- You can bake dishes on the stove or in the oven. It’s a fast, easy, and convenient cooking method for breakfast.
- Dry roast the nuts for 30 seconds on medium-low heat until lightly toasted. Stir and don’t burn. Add sesame seeds, and roast for a few more seconds.
- Remove the shells from the nuts and place them in a bowl with the chopped dates.
- Transfer the date mixture to a greased and floured 9 x 5 loaf pan. Add a bit of butter, raisins, and cardamom to the dates.
- Bake for two minutes at a low temperature until it becomes soft. Keep mixing with a spatula.
- If the date is still in the freezer for a long time it may appear to be stuck, but eventually, the cold will make them melt.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add walnuts. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. You need to stretch the mixture out so that it gets really stiff. It’ll require some additional work. Cool the mixture down until it can handle it.
- Now, roll the date mixture in cling wrap and refrigerate. After a few hours, you will have a firm, long bar of date. Place in the fridge and keep cool until ready to serve. You should serve it at room temperature.
Dates that are very chewy and hard are called Medjool dates. Soaking them for a few seconds in water will soften them up and make them more tender. Generally, there’s no need. If your dough doesn’t seem to be quite coming together and it doesn’t roll out and shape easily.
Add a little margarine or butter during the cooking of dates to soften them. If your dates and nuts mixture is too moist and mushy. You may add 1-2 tablespoons spoons of crushed biscuits or desiccated coconut to make it denser and easier to roll.