Poqui Poqui Recipe – How do you feel about egplant? Not everbody likes the vegetable, but it is a fairly healthy option. In Filipino cuisine, there is a good amount of dishes you can make featuring the vegetable. If you’re uncertain about eggplant but want to find a way to enjoy it, poqui poqui is an option to consider.
Poqui Poqui is a vegetable dish that has origins in the Ilocos region. It’s an overall simple eggplant dish that involves eggplants sauteed in onions, garlic, and tomatoes, and finished off with beaten eggs. The dish is one of many options for breakfast in Filipino cuisine and can be enjoyed with steamed rice or as a side dish to grilled fish or fried meat for lunch. Overall, it’s not a hard dish to make. One way you can make it is with this Poqui Poqui Recipe:
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large Roma tomatoes chopped
- 4 eggs beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over hot coals or gas stove, grill eggplants until skins are charred. Remove from heat and under running water, peel skin and rinse well. Coarsely chop flesh.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add tomatoes and continue to cook, mashing with the back of the spoon, until softened.
- Add eggplant. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beaten eggs, stirring to combine, and continue to cook until eggs are just set. Serve hot.
- Although the grill or gas stove provides a quicker way to roast eggplants, you can also roast them in the oven. Arrange the eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer, lightly brush with oil, and pierce a few times with a fork. Roast in 400 F oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until softened.
- Turn off the heat while the eggs are still slightly wet as they will continue to cook with the residual heat from the pan.
- In place of salt, you can season the dish with fish sauce or bagoong isda.
Tips for a Poqui Poqui Recipe
Poqui Poqui is generally simple to make but there are different tips and tricks that come with it. As a large feature of the dish, you’ll want to make sure to roast your eggplants well. One of the best ways to roast eggplants is the grill or gas stove. While it is the quicker method, not everyone is comfortable with it. An alternative is to roast them in the oven.
A good way to roast eggplants in the oven is to lightly brush them with oil and poke them with a few holes before placing them a foil-lined baking sheet. Roasting them should take around 10-15 minutes in a 400 F oven. Aside from well roasted eggplants, a good Poqui Poqui needs fluffy scrambled eggs. One way to achieve this is by properly whisking the eggs to aerate and add volume them. Make sure the whites and yolks completely incorporated together and the mixture has a uniform yellow color. It also helps to turn off the heat when the eggs are still slightly wet and let the residual heat cook them.