Cheesy Baked Bangus Recipe – Bangus a.k.a. milkfish is one of the most popular types of fish in Filipino cuisine. It is a highly flavorful fish when cooked and can be enjoyed in different ways. One of the most popular ways to enjoy the fish is fried and with a side of pickled vegetables. The fish can also be found in certain soups. But have you ever had fish with cheese? Among the different ways you can enjoy bangus, one option you can try is to have it with baked cheese on top. It might sound unorthodox to some, but it can be a delicious blend of savory and creamy flavors. If you’re interested in how cheese can pair with fish, you need to try this Cheesy Baked Bangus Recipe.
Cheesy Baked Bangus
Ingredients for the Bangus
- 500 g boneless bangus belly
- juice from 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Cheese Topping
- 1 cup quick melt cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 small Tomato (peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 2 tbsp red capsicum (chopped)
- 2 tbsp green capsicum (chopped)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Season bangus belly with lemon, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan over stove top in medium-high heat, add a small amount of oil and once it’s how add fish then fry skin side down. Once skin side turns golden brown, flip fish over then pan fry until slightly brown. Remove from pan then set it aside.
- In a bowl combine quick melt cheese, parmesan cheese, chopped tomato, chopped red capsicum, chopped green capsicum, and minced garlic. Set it aside.
- Place bangus on a lightly greased baking tray, spread mayonnaise on top of bangus then sprinkle cheese mixture on top.
- Bake in a 180C pre heated oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and slightly golden in colour.
- Remove from oven then serve fresh
Other Notes for a Cheesy Baked Bangus Recipe
Similar to any other bangus recipe, there are different ways you can go about making this dish. You also have the option to simply have a layer of savory baked cheeses without the vegetables. The key to having a golden brown cheese topping is with the right cheeses. If you don’t use the right cheeses or enough of them, you don’t get the same effect.