Banana bread has nothing to do with bread – it’s a cake. It tastes good with icing – which also draws the thought of cake. But it also tastes well clad with honey between.
The cake is made in a breadcrumb – perhaps hence the name – but it does so many cupcakes variations, such as sand cakes, marble cakes, etc. It’s easy to bite together and it’s supposed to bake for 1 hour, but it is okay. Why? Because it gives a wonderful scent throughout the house.
I have previously made banana bread – especially since the children love it. It’s cheap to do and usually you have already what you need for the recipe inside the house – one of them is the fruits, and of course the most important of them all is, THE BANANAS.
Banana bread – recipe
Banana bread withstood the test of time since 1930’s. Since then it gained more popularity, especially in the US not just for it’s easy to bake, but also for its outstanding quality and taste including its scent that can give you the feeling of riding the smooth clouds.
Because of its popularity, the US declared February 23rd the National Banana Bread day.
Ingredients for banana bread
- 35 g butter or margarine
- 2 bananas
- 1 egg
- 90 g of sugar
- ½ vanilla bar – can be omitted
- 175 g flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
How to make banana bread
- Turn on the oven at 175 ° C.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Mash or blend the bananas.
- Mix the butter and the bananas together.
- Whip eggs and sugar and possibly grains from the half of the vanilla bar together.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into the egg mixture and stir well.
- Turn the banana mixture into the dough and stir well.
- Pour the dough into a greased form, or a mold covered with baking paper, or a silicone or teflon form.
- Baked the banana bread for approx. 60 minutes until it is puffed up inside the oven. Check if possible with a meat spear. When there is no wet dough on the skewer, the bread is cooked.
You can serve the banana bread as it is, or you make an icing. You can also add chocolate or you can serve the bread with honey.
Stop food waste!
The more ripe bananas you use for banana bread, the better it becomes. The bananas may even be overripe – you know with a little dark spots hist and pist. So instead of throwing them into the bin, use them for banana bread.
The bread can last for 3 to 4 days at room temperature if you pack it in a plastic foil or in a plastic bag.
Things you didn’t know about Bananas
We do not think so much about it when we put a few bananas in the shopping cart, but bananas have not always been a fruit we could buy – and later could not buy all year round because it’s seasonal.
Banana is botanically a berry and has four different varieties:
- The yellow one we know best
- A green (matoke) used for cooking
- Lady’s finger – which is short compared to other bananas
- A red variant – that tastes like the yellow, but can be thicker