Crema de fruta Recipe – Sponge cake is a popular type of cake in Filipino cuisine. Another popular item in Filipino desserts is custard and jelly. Have you ever thought of having all of these together? One dessert that combines these components is Crema de Fruta. Crema de Fruta, which translates to fruit cream, is a traditional Filipino fruitcake. This cake is made with layers of sponge cake, sweet custard or whipped cream, gelatin/agar, and various preserved or fresh fruits.
Some of the fruits you can use include mangoes, pineapples, cherries, and strawberries. While it is traditionally served during the Christmas season, the layers and components can vary. A few variations of this dish include layers that feature jam, sago, or condensed milk. If you want to try the classic version of this dessert, this is one Crema de Fruta Recipe to try:
Crema de Fruta
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 pieces egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 big can fruit cocktail about 30 ++ ounces
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Make the Sponge Cake by sifting the baking powder and 1 cup flour using a flour sifter. Set aside
- Put 4 egg yolks in a mixing bowl and then beat until texture becomes thick.
- Add-in 1/2 cup sugar gradually while beating the egg
- Slowly add the sifted flour and baking powder mixture. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine 1 cup milk, butter, and vanilla extract in a sauce pan then cook until butter melts
- Pour the cooked mixture (milk, butter, vanilla extract) into the mixing bowl and mix with the existing concoction until evenly distributed
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pour the combined mixtures in a baking pan then bake for 23 minutes or until sponge cake is ready. Set aside.
- Make the simple syrup by heating a saucepan and placing 1/4 cup sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup of water immediately and cook until the sugar completely dissolves then let cool for a few minutes
- Pour the simple syrup on top of the sponge cake and thens spread. (I spread the syrup using a brush)
- Make the custard by combining 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 3 cups milk in a saucepan then cook while stirring until the mixture thickens
- Put half of the cooked mixture on the bowl where the 4 egg yolks are placed and then mix well
- Put everything back in the saucepan with the rest of the ingredients. Mix until texture is thick enough (this is now the custard)
- Apply the layer of custard evenly on top of the Sponge cake
- Drain the liquid concentrate from the fruit cocktail and set aside.
- Arrange all the fruits on top of the custard layer. Make sure to place them evenly
- Dilute the gelatin in 2 cups of water
- Heat the saucepan then pour the diluted gelatin and fruit cocktail concentrate and bring to a boil
- Immediately after boiling, turn off the heat and let cool down until temperature is a little above normal room temperature
- Pour the gelatin mixture on top of the fruit cocktail layer
- Refrigerate (preferably overnight)
- Serve chilled for dessert. Share and Enjoy!
Other Tips for Crema de Fruta
The best way to get even layers for this cake is to use a square cake container. It also helps to let the cake and custard to cool before layering. This will help prevent the layers from melting into each other. It also helps to arrange the drained fruit cocktail on top of the custard in an even layer. It is to ensure they’re completely covered by the gelatin. If you want the layers to come out pretty, make sure to refrigerate the cake for at least 6 hours, overnight is also good.
Don’t have the time to make the cake? No problem! There is an icebox cake variant of the dessert. It’s traditionally made with ladyfingers and layers of custard and fruits. Another option is to get ready-made sponge cake. That way you only have to focus on the custard and gelatin.