Grønlangkål Recipe – There are plenty of simple dishes you can find in Danish recipes. If you’re looking to try a new sauce to go with your meals, consider grønlangkål. Grønlangkål is a type of sauce featuring kale mixed with butter and cream. Kale is one of the more prominent vegetables you can see used in various Danish recipes. With this kale sauce, you’ll find that it pairs well with plenty of meat dishes. One of the main dishes you can pair this sauce with is ham. It is also one of many classic dishes you can enjoy during the holidays. When it comes to making this sauce, it is a relatively easy process and you can use either fresh or frozen kale. If this is your first time encountering this dish, consider this grønlangkål recipe to test the dish:
Grønlangkål (Danish Kale Cream Sauce)
- 500 g frozen chopped kale
- 30 g butter or margarine
- 2 dl whipping cream 200 ml
- 1 dl milk 100 ml
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Place a pan over medium heat and let the frozen kale thaw in it until there is little water left on the pan.
- When you see the water nearly dried out, add in the butter and mix the two together.
- Once the butter is incorporated into the kale, gradually add cream and milk while stirring regularly
- If you find the sauce too thin, you can thicken it up with some flour and water. If its the opposite, add milk and water to dilute the sauce.
- Let the sauce boil then stir it once it reaches the right consistency.
- Season the sauce with sugar, salt, and pepper until it reaches your preferred flavor then serve.
What Else to Know With A Grønlangkål Recipe
You can usually find this sauce served at parties in Southern Jutland. In the past, this sauce was made by cutting the kale and simply boiling it. Aside from this, grønlangkål can be made by baking the kale. Simply put, there are different ways you can try making this sauce and different dishes you can pair with it. However, depending on how you decide to make the sauce, you can end up with different results. For example, if you decide to try making the sauce by baking the vegetable, you may end up with a different consistency. As simple as this recipe is, there are plenty of options you can experiment with.
Aside from kale sauce, you can also check out Danish kale dishes like kale soup or pastries with kale. You can also check out other sauce recipes like our “Béarnaise sauce.” Want more Danish recipes? Try out our “Agurkesalat Recipe” for another simple dish.