Tuna Sisig Recipe – Sisig is a type of meat dish that usually involves minced pork, chopped onion, and chicken liver. It is a popular Filipino dish you’ll find served on a sizzling plate. While you can enjoy it as is, it is also great with egg on top and mixed in. The dish was developed in mid-1974 and originates from the Pampanga region in Luzon. Currently, it is known as a staple of Kapampangan cuisine. As delicious as the dish is, there are also alternatives you can try. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, you’ll want to try tuna sisig. There are different ways you can try making this dish and this recipe is one of them:
- 1 1/2 oz. can tuna
- 2 medium red onions minced
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup crushed chicharon
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 to 4 pieces Thai chili pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Drain your canned tuna then heat up 1 tablespoon of oil on a pan.
- Pan-fry the tuna until it turns light to medium brown then add the onions and cook it until it's soft.
- Once the onions are sauteed add the scallions and chili pepper. Saute the scallions and chili pepper for 2 more minutes.
- Season the mixture with garlic powder, ground black pepper, and soy sauce. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add half of the chicharron and mayonnaise then mix well and remove the pan from the heat.
- Melt butter in a sizzling plate/metal plate then transfer the cooked tuna sisig onto it and let it cook for 30 seconds or until it's sizzling hot.
- You have the option to use leftover chicharron as a topping and then serve it.
Other Information Involving The Tuna Sisig Recipe
Tuna is not only the healthier alternative for a sisig dish, but it is one of the cheaper options you can go for. Among the different Filipino recipes you can try, this is one of the simpler options you can try. It is especially convenient for students who have a low meal budget and are learning to cook. Aside from using canned tuna though, there is a way to make the sizzling plate dish with non-canned tuna. What you’ll want to use is tuna steak. You have the option to either cut it into cubes or shred it to make the alternative version of sisig. You can also try cooking the tuna alone or mixing it with the chicken liver to enhance the flavor.
If tuna is not to your taste, you can also check out other types of sisig to try such as beef or tofu. In addition to having different alternatives, sisig also goes great with plain rice or java rice. Either way, this simple sisig recipe is a must-try for an easy dish.